Lamborghini is actually owned by VW, so some say it's German.
Last weekend I took the train to Stuttgart to visit Festo for an interview. I think it went alright but it was my first interview in German and in Germany so I’ll hold off judgment until, well until I have been judged. This trip was a fine example of the European public transportation system on a couple of different levels. Firstly, I did it all with public transportation. I too a bus to the train station in Magdeburg, a couple of trains, a subway, light rail, and another bus to my final destination. I think the process is worth describing.
I bought my ticket a few days in advance and reserved a seat with no problems and a 2 minute wait until I reached the front of the line to talk with a real person. I arrived at the train station a few minutes before the train left, sat down, and read the paper. After a while the controller asked to see my ticket, he punched it, and that was my interaction with train personnel for the trip to Stuttgart. Every once in a while, someone would walk the isles with fresh coffee and pretzels but other than that, it was very quiet. A screen at the end of the car showed our speed (max 250km/h, 150mph). I had a few minutes ‘layover’ at each of my two stops and we were a bit late but it was an uneventful trip.
The return train was a bit late because it stopped to wait for passengers from a connecting line. Throughout the trip though, they conductor announced how late we were and called each coming station to ask if the connecting trains could wait a few minutes. All the time in a comfortable chair with more leg room than I could use, nice scenery, and that relaxing bob only a train can provide.
Contrast this with “Take your shoes off and empty your water bottle”, uncomfortable seats, unpredictable airfares and availability, and showing up an hour early. The train is not a bad way to go. It does take forever to get places though, and it’s not terribly exciting. After a while, the interesting scenery becomes interesting like a fire is interesting when you stare at it. It is a lot easier to get work done on a train than airplane though. HOWEVER, the highways in this country are also quite nice. Excluding personal jets and/or aerobatic planes (and maybe hot air balloons), I would put cars as the most fun way to get from here to there.
This is a picture of the Stuttgart train yard. If the plans are actualized, this will be very different and underground...
So Europe has a great train network and it’s a pleasant way to get places but Stuttgart has plans for a new train station explained in a multi-level exhibit in the train station tower. The project involves a complete re-working of the train station to expedite arrivals and departures, quick airport access, and provisions for a super high speed train between Paris and Vienna. The whole project was aimed at making travel, specifically air travel, through Stuttgart very convenient with public transportation. It seemed they wanted to make getting to and from the airport and train station(s) so easy, cars would be irrational. The motivation was environmental, and economical in the sense that it would bring more people through Stuttgart and the public transportation system would be better utilized. Looks like a good idea, definitely a step in the right direction. It was interesting to see what’s on the leading edge of European transport technology (other than the Airbus 380…).
This is picture of the Pagani Zonda. Its an Italian supercar with an enormous engine and lots of carbon fiber. I don't think they are allowed in the states but I saw one in a dealership in Stuttgart. Quite nice.
-H
No comments:
Post a Comment