Saturday, September 5, 2009

Hamburg


This is a picture of a Hamburger. Guess where it is...yes.

23. August 2009

With relatively short notice, I decided to shoot over from Berlin to Hamburg to visit Ryan, another guy in my exchange program. It was a two hour train trip so I arrived at around 9pm. The train station was huge! Hamburg does have 2 million people, but, for some reason, I never really thought of it as a big city. It just never occurred to me. I met up with Ryan and we went to the red light/bar district. Apparently, Hamburg is quite famous for this sort of thing. It was kind of an interesting walk of contrasts. There was an opera house at one end of the street and starkly contrasting entertainment on the other side. We swung past the docks and grabbed some burgers at the Hessburger, a Finnish fast food joint on the way to the train back to Ryan’s suburb.

The next day, we took a walking tour of the interesting bits of Hamburg. The city was a huge port and essential for trading back in the day (and now). There were a lot of historical buildings that remained but the waterfront also had a lot of really neat modern architecture.

After the tour, we ate, what else, another hamburger and I caught the train back that Sunday night. The city was really cool, I hope to go back some day.

This is a canal by the waterfront on the way to the trendy modern architecture area.


A very pointy building. The most photographed in all of Hamburg. It was a trading house of for somewhere in South America, I think.


What a great sewer cover!


Little lake in the city.

No comments: