Monday, August 11, 2008

A Day in the Life


I have almost settled into the rhythm of life here in Köln. I don’t spend as much time looking at maps at my bahn stops and I feel like I know how to get around. I’ll describe what has become a typical day:

Alarm from my cell phone. Time to get up. I turn it off while still in zombie mode and roll around for a while. Similar to the differences in sliced bread, the German version of the mattress is thinner but more dense than the American example. The German version is, however, very delicious/comfortable as well. The windows here swing open on a vertical axis like in America but I keep mine tilted open on the secondary hinges pivoting parallel to the floor (neat window design and pretty common). Quick shower and breakfast with Annette and Philip consisting usually of bread, meat, a few cheeses, orange juice, and a piece of fruit.

The U- and S-Bahn system in Köln is fantastic – there are three nearly equal options from where I live. The Bahn population is quite varied: business people, students, shoppers, dogs, and mohawk wielding, pierced gentlemen and ladies alike find solace in the precision of the timetables. Many have earbuds popping up though their shirt collars and there is hardly any chit-chat. After a few stops and maybe a change, I arrive at my station. The larger bahn stations generally have some sort of food involved, be it Seven Eleven type fare or full blown bakeries with fresh bread every morning. Many will grab a small Brötchen or a sandwich on the way out.

I walk a few blocks to the CDC. Not everyone stops for the no-walking signs, but the vast majority respects the authority of the red man in the lamp. It holds almost as much authority as a stop light for drivers in the states. The older people will sometimes make funny faces at the kids as they cross on a red.

My class at the CDC is largely conversation based and it invariably involves discussions on how things differ in our various homelands. That’s my favorite part.

After my classes, I walk around, run around, see the sights, and do homework. Today I stopped by a couple of bike shops in search for a snazzy way to get around. All of the folks I spoke with were quite nice and friendly, contrary to typical German stereotypes. One guy I met was also an engineer and we talked about my plans and his past career in a small scale stamping facility. The other day I met another guy who was way into biking and we spoke for 20 minutes or so about biking for the pleasure of riding a bike. Plenty of evidence that Germans can be friendly.

I pull my clothes off the clothesline and fold my shirts while I eat my cheese, tomato, and cucumber sandwich and talk with Philip about school. It was a good day.

-H

No comments: