Sunday, August 3, 2008

Heimat


2. August. 2008

I have just spent the last few hours with my new host family. Annette and her son Philip Frielingsdorf live in a small apartment on the first floor of a building within a few minute’s walk of the Rhine. Philip is in 9th grade and preparing for a big English test but they both speak English and they are as excited as I am to get practice in a different language. Philip and I went on a short walk along the Rhine where we talked about the city, some rules and traditions we have in America and how the two countries differ. He just turned 16 so he can drink legally now but he still cannot drive.

The last few days have been spent mostly traveling. Lufthansa’s strike canceled our original flight plans so 2/3 of the group took a Virgin Atlantic flight to London then Frankfurt and the remaining people will arrive on Monday. In the face of adversity one can learn a lot about people and our program leaders, Will Maier and Anna Oberle, handled the situation very well. The participants have also formed a relatively cohesive bond, due in part to the hours spent waiting together but also the joint effort required to deal with the luggage and flight fiasco.

Throughout the day, I’ve been distracted by all of the different things I see. The auto tow hitches, door hinges, door handles, bridge supports, light switches, and highway center dividers, for example. I love seeing all of these alternate ways to solve problems! Exciting!

Deutschland is cool.

-H

No comments: