
"Please no competitor clothing"
After perhaps the most difficult decision of my life, I have settled down in phase three of my three phase year in Germany. My first week in the “Graduate Program” in the adidas innovation team (ait.) was fantastic. The department is responsible for all new technologies in shoes, equipment, and clothing that come from adidas so in my first few days walking around the office, I met the people that designed my running shoes and those who are on the patent for the FIFA 2006 ball. I’m really excited to be a part of all that. My other option was Airbus in Bremen and, although it was strange to pass it up, I think my time with adidas will be much more beneficial and enjoyable.
I’m living in Erlangen, a 10km bike ride from work, in a shared apartment with three Germans. It’s in a quiet area and the bike ride will be nice once the ice melts. It’s interesting to note, yet again, the differences between here and other places in Germany. After only 3.5 hours in a car (autobahn, so 4.5 hours US driving time :) ) the stores all close earlier, there are different public holidays, the accent in the local’s speech is a bit different, the typical greeting (“Gruβ Gott”) is different, and they call their basic bread Semmel and not Brotchen. Interesting to compare, I think. If I drove from Seattle to Eugene, I wouldn’t notice these differences.
Three Stripes!
No comments:
Post a Comment