Thursday, February 5, 2009

Romeo und Julia


Romeo and Juliet on the left, Mercutio is behind them. Benviolio is in front in black. The guy sitting down is Tybalt. The two on top are Juliet’s parents, and the guy with cowboy boots and sequined underpants was the one who wanted to marry Juliet. The wood square with the lights can move down to meet with the big box in the center and the large lower wood area can be lifted to the ceiling.

On a whim, I picked up a ticket for Romeo und Julia, a Shakespeare performance at the local theater. I was surprised to see that a majority of those waiting in the lobby were around my age. The lobby area was also a club with aluminum structures supporting disco balls and colorful lights (only the lights were on). Later, the club would host a rap and DJ concert.

The play definitely had a modern touch too it as well. The Montague family wore black and the Capulet family looked like royalty from the early eighties with ridiculous colors and over-the-top shoes. There was modern music that played from time to time and although the entire thing was in German, it was not a direct translation. The director took some liberties that kind of gave it a more present-day feel.

I liked it. It was entertaining. I’ve seen the movies and plays and script before but this one, it seemed, was presented to capture today’s audience. The ticket was not much more than a movie ticket and I got to enjoy some solid, real, local, entertaining, acting without product placement or pre-views.

Success.

No comments: